Berberine is a quaternary ammonium salt from the protoberberine group of isoquinoline alkaloids. It is found in such plants as Berberis (e.g. Berberis aquifolium (Oregon grape), Berberis vulgaris (Barberry), and Berberis aristata (Tree Turmeric)), Hydrastis canadensis (Goldenseal), Phellodendron amurense (Amur Cork Tree, Huang Bai, Huang Po, Po Mu) and Coptis chinensis (Chinese Goldthread, Huang-Lian, Huang-Lien), and Tinospora cordifolia, and to a smaller extent in Argemone mexicana (Prickly Poppy) and Eschscholzia californica (Californian Poppy). Berberine is usually found in the roots, rhizomes, stems, and bark .
Coptis chinensis root extract
Loss on Drying
Total Plate Count
Yeast & Mould
Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has been used in health care products and pharmaceutic field due to following functions:
1. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has been used as a yellow dye, due to its yellow color.
2. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has been evidenced to possess antimicrobial properties against various bacteria, fungi, protozoans, helminths, chlamydia, and viruses.
3. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder may improve the quality of life and decreased the mortality rates in patients with chronic congestive heart failure.
4. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has been suggested to aid in glycemic regulation and in favor of the prevention and treatment of diabetes.
5. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has also been evaluated as a treatment for hypercholesterolemia, via reducing serum triglycerides, cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
6. Multiple studies have indicated that berberine has been found to be beneficial to cancer.
7. Coptis chinensis root extract Berberine powder has been found to possess multiple neuroprotective effects and improve survival, development, and function of neurons, while protecting these electrically excitable brain cells.